“Rent’s due in three days. I need to somehow make $2,500 in three days.”
My friend looked at me, baffled, “are you THAT on the fly?”
I threw my hands up: “Yep. I am.”
I was thriving in my private coaching practice, and pouring tens of thousands of dollars into a program that no one bought.
I was working hard. And I felt like a fraud.
How can I be a successful career coach if I can’t even pay my rent?
My friend looked at me with resignation in his eyes: “Well, you spend more than you make. Easy as that, Ash.”
I felt like I failed… And I looked at him, as he said to me: “Keep going. Keep going, Ash. You’re going to succeed and help people.”
(Thank god he said that to me years ago.)
I really I had two choices here. I could accept failure, or I could keep failing until something shifted. My credit cards were due, and so was the rent.
So what did I do? I took out a bank loan and hired a consultant that day… A consultant that I obviously could not “afford.” I’m not joking.
I had grit. I was fearless. And I was scared shitless. I wanted my dreams MORE than I was scared of failure.
I sobbed to a group of power women in my Master’s program: the former president of a hotel chain, the CEO of an awesome publishing house, the founder of a fashion store, an executive coach to CEOs.
Total power women.
… And they loved me hard. They cried for me. And I could tell their tears came from their wounds. I could tell they were empathy cries. They’d been there. They’d done that.
I felt seen. I felt understood.
I brushed myself off, met my bestie Chelsea Krost out for a glass of wine, and strategized how I’d use this consultant to turn my online business around.
This year my business has hit dream levels… And I still can’t believe it. Sometimes when I close my eyes and meditate for a few minutes, I remember that girl crying about the rent. She’s me. And I love her for the grit she had.
There are five things I learned that I hope serve you today:
- Success comes when you are willing to burn the bridges of your comfort zone behind you. It comes when you’re “all-in”… If you are not willing to give everything you have to your dreams, don’t give anything at all. The universe tests you and you must be willing to meet it.
- Please know when you are failing, a part of you is truly choosing to fail. I know this is going to bother some of you, but it’s just true… Think about being broke: I was broke because I chose to spend way more than I had. It’s all a choice! The option is always available to you to succeed on your terms.
- Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t make a GREAT living by helping people. Making a living in the name of service is a spiritual practice and an inspired one.
- Hiring a mentor makes a difference. I thank my lucky stars for that online business consultant. Without him, I would probably be having the same cry today.
- Check your ego at the door. In the name of growth, I stayed curious and committed to doing whatever it took. I admitted not knowing how to be an online marketer. I stayed honest with myself. I surrendered and asked for help.
It’s not to say I’m the wisest owl or the best, but I certainly have learned. I’d never wish my business pains on you, but I certainly wish my lessons upon you!!
And FYI- I made that $2,500 in those three days. Like I said, the universe always meets you at the point of action.
Sending you love,